Skip to main content

Chapter 17: Self control




Self-control is often viewed as one of the most powerful emotions we possess. It is the ability to understand and steer our thoughts, feelings, emotions, and behaviors in the face of temptation or distraction. It may sound simple when put into words, in practice but self-control is one of the most challenging qualities to develop. Mastering it can have huge effects on both personal and professional aspects of our lives. It allows us to make better decisions, resist distractions, and ultimately achieve our long-term goals.


Growing up, we are constantly reminded of the importance of discipline, whether it’s through doing our homework on time, resisting the urge to eat sweets before the main meal or sticking to a fixed budget. These may seem like small acts of control, but each one shapes our ability to control life better with a clear sense of the surrounding. Self-control requires us to look beyond the immediate and focus on the bigger picture, teaching us patience and persistence.


I’ve learned, especially during my core teenage years, that self-control is not about denying ourselves pleasure or joy, but about finding balance. For instance, the urge to binge watch an entire season of a TV show might feel satisfying in the moment but the regret of ignoring responsibilities for those temporary pleasures, tails along with it. It’s in these moments of temptation that self-control tests our willpower, asking us to choose what’s best for our future selves rather than our temporary pleasures. One solution to this is issue, finding balance between responsibilities and entertainment and to control ourselves from procrastination. 


For me, self-control is closely linked to discipline. One of my personal experiences with self-control was preparing for exams in school. While it was tempting to spend hours on social media or talk to friends, I knew that I had to set boundaries if I wanted to succeed. Every time I resisted distractions, I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment. This helped me build a habit of focusing on what truly mattered and realizing that sacrifice in the short term could lead to my success on a long term.


However, self-control is not just about achieving academic or career success. It plays a critical role in how we manage relationships and our emotional well-being. Our ability to pause and listen in between a heated argument is one example of self control in a relationship. It is definitely not easy to practice this but it might even save a relationship from being destroyed.


So, let us all try to control ourselves and understand that our little sacrifices of pleasure now can present us beautiful gifts in return later. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Embracing Self Awareness

Let me begin my first blog with a quote, " Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom"- Aristotle  I am Alena, I am a normal girl with ordinary talents. If that is the way I introduce myself, what makes me different and what makes me unique?  Most of the people including myself, become insecure and shy away from challenges life has in store because of not being self-aware of their potential. Self awareness plays a major role in personal growth and well being of a person. We need to understand and keep track of our strengths and weaknesses. Our strength could end up turning into our weakness and our weakness could end up being our strength later. An example from my life: In school, I had a hard time making friends which I considered as a flaw, In college I don't find that as an issue which ends up being my strength. I remember starting a personal diary to jot down my emotions and instead of writing what I truly felt, I wrote as if somebody would read it. That is not t

Chapter 2: Pain behind every smile

For the people who think life is unfair, "The prettiest smiles hide the deepest secrets. The prettiest eyes have cried the most tears, and the kindest hearts have felt the most pain"- A beautiful soul. Behind every smile there is a hidden story. I had a teacher who had an immense amount of positivity in her. She always wore a beautiful smile on her face. She loved teaching her students and put in maximum effort to everything she did. Seeing her being so positive, I thought she didn't have much trials in life and I wished I was like her. Was that the reality? No!.  One day, we had a personal conversation with her and we realised how melancholic her life was. She narrated an incident where she was on the verge of losing her life and she talked about the other issues she had to encounter everyday of her life, which was not something we would imagine her having. She hid all the pain with a smile. I still remember asking her jokingly, "Should I write a book based on your

Chapter 3: Little things matter

"Sometimes it's the little things that make life worth living"- Nadine Gordimer Noticing and appreciating the little things around you can make a huge difference in your life. They say "the bigger, the better," but that's not always true. Sometimes, noticing the small details around you, can bring a kind of joy that big things can never offer. A hot cup of coffee made by your mom, a smile from a stranger, or a compliment from a loved one—little things like these make your heart happy. When someone listens to you with genuine interest, or when they notice that you're not feeling well just by looking at you, you feel loved and cared for Imagine your day like this: You wake up and start the day with a smile. You drink a hot cup of coffee and thank your mom for making it. You enjoy your delicious breakfast. You start traveling, and your auto driver says "thank you". You get on the bus and find a seat while many others are left standing. You give up